To enable creative collaborative research in the environmental sciences at Yale by facilitating the development of diverse academic excellence at the postdoctoral level. This format develops the framework established by the first Hutchinson call (from Fall 2019) by segueing the program into an annual and continuing program.
We solicit proposals for transformative research projects with clusters of 2-3 postdocs and additional scope for participation by visiting scholars and international students. Potential postdoctoral nominees and visitors should be identified in the proposal, but these will be non-binding; postdoctoral applications will be open to all eligible candidates. We also encourage PIs to identify possible Bass Distinguished Visiting Scholars who could connect to the project, whether they are available or not; these may be named in the proposal but should be formally nominated via the Bass Distinguished Visiting Scholar process. Each postdoc should be advised by a different Yale faculty member (including Research Scientists and Lecturers), and multidisciplinary proposals involving faculty from different departments/schools/units will be given priority. Proposals should include at least one YIBS affiliate.
The proposal should total no more than 2 pages:
- 1-page description and justification of the research scope
- Estimated budget (to comprise budgets for postdoc work and additional student/visitor budgets; but not Bass Distinguished Visiting Scholar budgets)
- Statement of cluster contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, with faculty track record of contributions to DEI
- Postdoctoral/student training statement
- Details of possible postdoctoral nominees
A total of 4-6 Hutchinson postdocs (2-3 cohort proposals) can be funded in 2022.
Starting salary of $62,000/year - One year, with possibility of renewal for a second year (but not more). Up to $10,000 per year per postdoc for research, travel, etc.
Additional budget will be available to bring international visitors to Yale, including travel and any necessary housing and living expense supplements.
- Cluster proposals are due Friday, October 1, 2021.
- A committee will select proposals and notify lead faculty by Friday, October 22, 2021 for advertisement.
- Postdoc applications will be due Friday, December 10, 2021.
- Selection committee will select candidates by Friday, December 17, 2021.
The Hutchinson program will NOT replace the Donnelley postdoc program.
For any questions or concerns regarding the application process, contact:
LaToya Sealy Cotto
Cluster Proposal Form
The cluster proposal form will close on Friday, October 1, 2021. Once cluster proposals are chosen, a form for postdoc applications will remain open until Friday, December 10, 2021.