YIBS Small Grants Program
2017 Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grants
The YIBS Small Grants Program Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grants are intended to provide partial support of doctoral dissertation research for improvement beyond the already existing project. These grants are intended for students who have already advanced to candidacy in a PhD program and who have already applied for extramural funding.
Eligibility: Students enrolled in a PhD program in one of Anthropology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Epidemiology and Public Health, Forestry and Environmental Studies, Geology and Geophysics, or a related program, who have advanced to candidacy on or before the submission deadline, are eligible to apply.
Maximum Award: $5,000
Deadline: The deadline for submission of all materials is March 3rd, 2017 at 5:00pm EST.
- Applicant Information (see website) including:
- Project Title
- Contact Information
- Current Program and Year
- Advisor’s Name and Department
- Project Proposal
- Project Description (maximum 5 pages, single-spaced). The project description should identify the intellectual merit of your proposed work, its broader relevance, and describe how it will improve the overall quality of the dissertation.
- References (no limit).
- Budget and Budget Justification (1 page).
- Letter(s) of Support
- Please provide at least one letter of support from a faculty member, ideally from your research advisor. This letter should address their support for the project, the potential impact of the project, and the ability of the student to complete the proposed research.
Allowable Expenses: Travel, lodgings, supplies, and equipment related directly to the proposed research are allowable. The total request cannot exceed $5,000 and cannot include salaries.
Application Procedure: Applications (including letters of support and supporting documents) will be submitted via the Student Grants and Fellowships website (search for “YIBS”). Please ensure that you begin the application procedure well in advance of the deadline to ensure adequate time for letters of support to be uploaded by the deadline.